LPGA Professionals Marge Burns Grant March 3, 2024
A native of North Carolina, Marge Burns graduated from the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina (now UNCG) in 1946. Her first love was always golf, and she went on to achieve an unprecedented record of ten North Carolina State Amateur titles, and was honored five times by sportswriters as the Carolinas Outstanding Amateur Woman Athlete. A dedicated teaching professional, Ms. Burns served as president of the Southeast Section, was a National Evaluator, selected as National Teacher of the Year in 1976, and attained her Master Professional status in 1994. Other honors include inductions into the Carolinas Golf Hall of Fame, the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame, the UNCG Sports Hall of Fame and the Guilford County (NC) Sports Hall of Fame. UNCG honored Ms. Burns in 1991 with its Distinguished Alumni Award, and in 2004, she was awarded the Ellen Griffin Rolex Award, the LPGA’s most prestigious teaching award. The Marge Burns Education Grant for LPGA Professionals reflects Marge’s passion for golf and her love of teaching, and was established to inspire others to take advantage of lifelong educational opportunities.
- The LPGA Foundation will administer The Marge Burns Education Grant.
- Approved Applicants, Apprentice, and Class B Members are eligible for the LPGA Teacher Education Program and LPGA Testing grants.
- Up to ten (10) grants may be awarded annually to Approved Applicants, Apprentice, or Class B members for Education.
- Additional funds from other individuals/organizations may also support the Fund. Funds are typically paid to third parties.
Note that the Marge Burns Education Grant is renewable every trimester if the applicant meets the minimum scoring requirement of the previous class. Applicants may only receive one LPGA Foundation grant per application period.
- The grant applicant must be an LPGA Professionals member in good standing or an Approved Applicant who has paid the Application Fee and submitted all the Application Requirements.
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need. We ask that you provide details about the reason you are requesting assistance.
- Applicant must submit a completed grant application.
- Applicant must use funds for LPGA approved education courses.
- An Applicant who is approved for a grant may apply for the grant again in the future if they demonstrate financial need. To be eligible for a second grant the Applicant must fully complete the Application for membership and join as an Apprentice member of the LPGA prior to applying for an additional grant.
- Grants must be used within the year it is awarded. Exception, grants awarded in the 3rd selection may be used the following year.
- LPGA Members and Applicants may apply more than one (1) time for the grant.
APPLICATION PERIODS - Applications will only be accepted for the current period.
- March 1
- July 1
- November 1